Who We Insure
Liability Insurance for Nonprofits

Your nonprofit is focused on doing great work, whether it’s charitable, humanitarian, or artistic in nature. But that selfless mission doesn’t make your nonprofit immune to risks. Counseling issues, volunteer injuries, or allegations of money mismanagement could threaten your nonprofit’s assets. And if your budget is drained taking care of legal battles, there won’t be much left to do your work.

Insurance helps manage these risks, keeping your nonprofit focused on its mission. And because Insureon’s agents understand the unique needs of nonprofits, we can help you find coverage appropriate for your situation. To get started, see our resources for:

Coverage for Nonprofits

The type of insurance you need depends on the size of your organization and what it does, but typically, nonprofits benefit from the following types of coverage.

  • General Liability Insurance covers third-party claims over bodily injuries, property damage, and advertising injuries.
  • Professional Liability Insurance (Errors and Omissions Insurance) can cover lawsuits over the work your nonprofit does and pay for your legal expenses.
  • Directors and Officers Insurance (D&O Insurance) can protect your nonprofit’s directors, officers, and board members from lawsuits over their management decisions. It can pay for their legal expenses, if need be.
  • Special Event Insurance helps cover general liabilities and property damage that may occur at a one-time or regular event hosted by your nonprofit.
  • Liquor Liability Insurance can be useful if your nonprofit serves alcohol on its premises or at a special event. It can step in when your nonprofit is sued over the harm a drunken guest inflicts on another party.
  • Property Insurance helps cover your nonprofit’s physical assets, reimbursing you for property that’s lost or damaged because of fire, theft, vandalism, or windstorms.
  • Business Owner’s Policy bundles General Liability and Property Insurance into a convenient package that’s often cheaper than buying the two policies separately.
  • Cyber Liability / Data Breach Insurance helps pay for the expenses stemming from a data breach at your nonprofit, such as notification expenses, security repairs, and credit-monitoring services.
  • Commercial Auto Insurance can cover you and your employees when driving for business or when driving company-owned vehicles.
  • Workers’ Compensation Insurance reimburses your employees (and sometimes volunteers) for medical bills and lost wages resulting from a work injury. State laws may require you to carry this policy.
  • Umbrella / Excess Liability Insurance supplements the coverage offered by certain underlying policies. This allows you to draw on more coverage once a primary policy’s limit has been reached.

Custom-Fit Nonprofit Insurance

Contact an Insureon agent for one-on-one guidance on your insurance needs. Or if you’re ready to get your coverage underway, simply fill out an online insurance application to receive free quotes by email.

Customer Rating 4.9 out of 5
Read Customer Reviews

Grab-n-Go Information

Nonprofit Risks eBook
Certainty in Uncertain Times - A Nonprofit’s Guide to Risk Management
Browse eBook
Sample certificates
See a sample Certificate of Liability Insurance, the proof of coverage you need for most contracts.
View Sample
Sample Quotes & Cost Estimates
See what insurance really costs: actual quotes by policy & specialty.
Get Estimates
Ask A Question
Submit your questions about small business insurance and get answers from our experts.
Read Answers